Monday, March 28, 2011

Scheduling Your Days

Some people may envision life as a freelancer as lazy days spent in pajamas, working here and there when you want to. It's a nice vision, but any freelancer knows that it is far from the truth.

In order to be a successful freelancer, you must be disciplined and extremely self motivated. Working from home means that you have double the distractions compared to someone who works in a traditional office environment. When working from home, a schedule is a must have. Not every schedule will work for every freelancer though.

Some people manage well with a simple to do list. Simply listing everything that they must accomplish on any given day gives them the ability to buckle down and get it done. Others need a more formal schedule, listing each hour of the day and what needs to be done during that time.

If one way of scheduling your day doesn't work, try an alternative and keep on trying different ways until you find the one that works. Staying well organized will make the difference between succeeding or failing as a freelancer.

What do you do to stay on track?


4 comments:

  1. I don't write a schedule, but when things are hard to get through I will break it in to pieces to complete. I have an article that is one that if I can get it published could lead to more work and some private clients. The pressure of course led to a brain shut down. Any other article I would have whipped out, but THIS ONE really means something.

    I finally had to break it into pieces and I find that is how I finish things that are hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to have my To Do List, but I know that doesn't work for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lists are what gets me through a day. I will list everything I want to accomplish and when I stick to my list I get so much done and actually have a lot more time for "extra" things because I stay focused and am not wasting time on facebook or wplh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work to deadlines, and I try to stay a day ahead of the next deadline. So, when the inevitable pops up, I can at least keep my projects on schedule.

    ReplyDelete